LIME MAYO SAUCE:
- 1/3 cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 small clove of garlic finely minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 large sweet onions’ rough skins were removed, cut into 1/2 inch rings, and separated
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg beaten
- 1–1 1/2 cups of beer
- Vegetable oil for frying
In a small bowl combine mayo, ketchup, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, garlic, and lime juice.
Set 1/4 cup of flour aside on a shallow plate. In a medium bowl combine 1 cup flour, 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, cumin, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder, beaten egg, and 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups beer depending on how thick you want the batter.
Heat oil to 375 degrees. Dip onion rings in flour on a shallow plate and then into the batter. Fry battered onion rings in the hot oil until browned, about 4 minutes. Place on paper towels while working in small batches. Serve hot with Lime Mayo Sauce.