- 1 1/2 lb beef
- 2 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Freshly ground salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion (1 large)
- 1 1/4 cup carrots, peeled and chopped (3 medium)
- 1 cup chopped celery (3 medium)
- 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic (4 cloves)
- 8 cups low sodium beef or chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes (14 oz)
- 1 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 lb red or yellow potatoes, chopped into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1-1/2 cups chopped green beans (cut ends first)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
How To Make Vegetable Beef Soup
Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Dry the beef with paper towels, season with salt and pepper, add half the beef to the pan and brown for about 4 minutes, turning halfway.
Transfer to a plate add another 1/2 tablespoon of oil to the pan and repeat the process with the remaining beef.
Add another tablespoon of oil to now empty the pan, then add the onions, carrots and celery, then sauté for 3 minutes, add the pan to the garlic 1 minute more.
Add the broth, tomatoes, golden beef, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice, for 30 minutes.
Add the potatoes then continue simmering, covered, for 20 minutes (you can also add the green beans with the potatoes if you like them very sweet).
Stir in green beans and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until all vegetables and beef are tender.
Pour in the corn and peas and simmer until hot, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve warm.